Create your own bespoke piece
Get in touch to discuss your ideas
Use these articles to inspire and guide you through the bespoke experience
Looking to commission a piece to jewellery to celebrate a special occasion? Here's some pro-active tips on making the most from your bespoke experience.
Find out more
How do I start the design process?
The bespoke jewellery design process starts with filling out a Discovery Questionnaire. This step is important as it starts to form a brief for your project which will then be discussed in the next step.
I'm having trouble filling out the discovery questionnaire...
...I'm not sure what to write: That's okay, it might take a little bit of time to figure this out. Read this blog post which will help you get some tips and ideas before you commission a piece of jewellery.
...I don't like forms: No problem, not everyone likes filling in forms! Contact me so I can arrange to have a quick virtual chat with you. We'll talk through this instead and I'll fill in the form for you!
How long does it take to create a bespoke piece?
This depends upon the complexity of the design. Generally speaking, the bespoke jewellery design process can take anywhere between 6-12 weeks with quick communication on the project.
This is broken down as follows:
- Once a Discovery Questionnaire is sent, I'll be in touch to arrange a discovery call at a time that suits you.
- After this call, I create a moodboard with an outline of the brief and some design ideas within 2 weeks.
- We have another discovery call to discuss design ideas and choose one to develop further.
- At this stage a deposit is required to cover the design fees, once this is paid, your designs will be ready to review in 2-3 weeks.
- We have another follow-up call where you choose your design, if no further design work is required then I start crafting your bespoke jewellery piece.
- This process can take between 4-6 weeks depending upon your design. Please note this can take longer during busy periods such as Christmas, this may be due to circumstances outwith my control such as casting or hallmarking which are carried out elsewhere. If you're thinking about a bespoke piece for Christmas I advise you get in touch before September!
How much does it cost?
The cost varies according to the project.
At Laconic, you are provided with the following as a complimentary service:
- Discovery Questionnaire that helps to outline a brief for your project.
- Discovery call (30 minutes) to discuss your project and talk about the possibilities for your design.
- Discovery moodboards and follow-up call (30 minutes) that helps you visualise different elements of your design; inspiration, materials, colours, shapes and textures.
- Complimentary rough sketches, containing up to 6 design ideas to get the ball rolling with the design process and make sure we're both in alignment with how the design might take shape.
At this stage you will choose a design to be explored further and be required to make a deposit for the design fees charged at £150. This will be deducted from the final cost of your bespoke jewellery piece if you continue to proceed. Otherwise, this fee is non-refundable. If further design work is required, you will be charged an additional cost for this service, at £40 per hour.
Once you have chosen your design to be crafted, a deposit of 50% of the quoted price is required before work is carried out to cover any upfront costs, such as materials.
There may be additional fees if you decided to change your design as it is being crafted, charged depending upon the extra time and materials required.
Once your item is complete, you'll be required to pay the balance, minus the initial £150 design fee before you receive it.
Can I pay in installments?
Due to the nature of this process, payments are made at different stages of the bespoke jewellery design process.
The first payment is due after the complimentary services, which is an initial design fee of £150. If you continue with your project this will be deducted from the final invoice, otherwise this is not refundable.
The second payment is once you have chosen and confirmed your design. This is 50% of the quoted price and design work begins once this payment has been made.
The third and final payment is the remainder (minus the initial design fee of £150). This can be paid in more stages but your bespoke piece will be sent out once fully paid for.